5 Answers

askguru expert
Hi Anonymous, thanks for writing to us on AskGuru.

1. You can buy an EC and stay there for 5 to 10 years. If you wish to buy an HDB flat as a second property, you must dispose of the current EC as you are not allowed to own 2 HDB properties. You are not eligible to buy a Built-To-Order (BTO) flat if you had initially bought an EC. You can buy a resale HDB flat.

2. Likewise, you must sell your HDB flat if you wish to buy an EC. However, you may keep the HDB flat if you wish to buy a private property.

You are subjected to a Buyer's Stamp Duty (BSD) whenever you purchase a property. You must also pay an Additional Buyer's Stamp Duty (ABSD) for your second and subsequent property purchase. You may refer to IRAS's link here: https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/Other-Taxes/Stamp-Duty-for-Property/Working-out-your-Stamp-Duty/Buying-or-Acquiring-Property/What-is-the-Duty-that-I-Need-to-Pay-as-a-Buyer-or-Transferee-of-Residential-Property/Additional-Buyer-s-Stamp-Duty--ABSD-/

The thing to remember when buying a property in Singapore is that you can buy upwards but not downwards.

For a list of its eligibility conditions, please refer to HDB’s link here: https://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/residential/buying-a-flat/new/eligibility/executive-condominiums

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Team PropertyGuru Read More


Robbie Chen Chee Howe

As SPR/SPR household, you will be required to dispose off your HDB flat should you purchase a second residential property after serving the 5-year MOP. You cannot hold onto and rent out your HDB flat.

However, if you purchase a resale EC, you do not need to serve any 5-year MOP, as it is considered a private property. You can also buy another residential property without having the need to sell off your existing property. You can also choose to rent out the property.

I am experienced and well-versed in both HDB and private transactions. I will be able to assist you in your property plans.

Should you need require further assistance in matters relating to property, please contact me at my mobile 9748 6305. I will be happy to assess and share with you the possibilities for you in the current market.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Robbie Chen
9748 6305
PropNex Realty Read More


Aaron Chong
Hi, I would be most glad to assist you further and pls feel free to let me know if you need any assistance. Hope to hear from you soon and have a great week ahead. By the way, both you and your spouse can purchase resale EC anytime from now without having to wait till the end of the year.

Aaron Chong
9730 8455
aaronchong2774@yahoo.com.sg Read More


Silvia Yang
Hi Sir/Madam

I will be glad to assist
I won't be able to contact you first as I do not have your contact, appreciate if you can contact me at (65) 96608508 or Silviayang8@gmail.com
or click here https://bit.ly/WaSilvia to whatsapp me for no obligation discussion
Thank you.

Warmest regards,

Silvia Yang

Senior Marketing Director
ERA Realty Network Pte Ltd
Mobile: (65) 9660 8508
Email: Silviayang8@gmail.com Read More


Gavin Ng

To buy a new EC, you will need a Singaporean. 2 SPRs can buy a resale EC (5years and above) from the open market.

If you buy a resale (5 years old and above) EC, you can buy another private condominium as a 2nd property; owning 2 properties.

If you buy a resale HDB, you will have to dispose of the HDB flat as your status residency is SPR, only SC is allow to keep the HDB flat; if you intend to buy a private condominium.

You may text 9620 0827 for a casual chat.

Warmest regards.

Gavin Read More