2 Answers

askguru expert
Hi Durghah, thanks for writing to us on AskGuru

We are sorry to hear about your situation.

A landlord is bounded by the following covenants to a tenant:
1. Quiet enjoyment of the premises, which means tenant can enjoy the use of the premises without interference.
2. Non-derogation from the grant, landlord must observe all the terms granted to tenant.
3. Property must be fit for habitation at the start of the lease term.
4. Structure and facilities must be in good repair.
5. Good title. He is the owner and has the right to rent.
6. Pay property tax and quit rent if any.
7. Exclusive possession of the premises for the fixed term, so long as the fixed term given has not expired.
8. If landlord has sold or transferred his interest, buyer or successor-in-title is bound to observe the terms of the lease granted.

Under points 3 and 4, of the landlord's covenant, the landlord must ensure the property is fit for you to live in and that it is structurally sound. You do have a case to take your landlord to task.

A minor repair clause is for the maintenance of the property due to wear and tear and not due to the tenant's negligence. These include the flooring, interior plaster and other surface materials, doors, windows, locks and furniture. The tenant shall pay up to $150 per item while the landlord bears the exceeding $150 per item as stated in the invoice.

If your washing machine and appliances have issues you may communicate this to your landlord and work out an agreeable solution. If it requires a minor repair, then the tenant is required to pay up to $150 per item. If it is a major issue, the landlord may either pay the amount exceeding $150 per item or replace the items.

You can speak to your landlord to get him/her to rectify the issues you mentioned. Failing which, you can take legal action against the landlord for not adhering to the terms in the Tenancy Agreement.

If you want to quit the Tenancy Agreement, you must compensate your landlord for the unused lease term.

We advise you to come to a mutually agreeable solution with your landlord.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Team PropertyGuru Read More


Geryl Lim
Hi Durgah,

If it is within the agreed terms that it is Landlord's responsibility to make good whatever faulty appliances or damages that affects the liveability of the property, you will need to inform Landlord that it is not a matter of how much she has spent for the repairs prior to your move in but it is in the contractual obligations that she must attend to this, otherwise Tenant may opt to take actions to fixed these issues and charge to Landlord's account. Your agent should be able to assist you in this matter.

Warmest regards,
Geryl Lim
Associate Deputy Group Director
Salesperson Registration No. R014783H
Email: geryl.lim@orangetee.com / geryl7772@gmail.com
OrangeTee & Tie Pte Ltd 430 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #01-01 OrangeTee Building Singapore 319402
Estate Agent Licence No. L3009250K
[main] +65 6471 8888 [mob] +65 81577565 [LDA] +65 92787772
Note: We value your home as much as you do! Find out the indicative value of your home at http://bit.ly/UrHomeMatters and get monthly update on your home value. Restructure your portfolio with us, speak to us!

Tenants can visit http://bit.ly/SGExpatRental (Official Rental Requirements - Singapore Expatriates) to indicate your rental requirements.

Visit and Like my facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/GerylLimSince2009/ - Aspiring To Be The Best Real Estate Agent In Singapore

Pick up knowledge, skills and Real Estate concepts at https://www.facebook.com/RealEstateXcellence/

New Singapore Expatriates on facebook is up and running. Come join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/newsgexpats/

My self introductory video on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ6REQfdGSw
Landed Dynamic Alliance
Home of *7772 Hotline
Check out our latest Landed Dynamic Alliance 7772 mobile application on iOS or Android @ http://l.ead.me/7772 Read More