7 Answers


Your husband and yourself is considered as a single entity, which means that you have to apply together with him for HDB flat.

However, you may buy a private property under a single ownership if you have decoupled.

Your may text 9620 0827  for a casual chat.

Warmest regards

Gavin Read More
Dear Mdm,

It is possible to decouple the EC with your husband to free up his name to buy another property without the need to pay ABSD. However, buying a HDB involves a family nucleus and therefore your husband's name need to be as one of the buyers or essential occupier, meaning he will not be able to hold on to the EC.

My clients who are EC owners, decouple to buy a private condo to invest or to stay and rent out their current EC. Please feel free to contact me so that I can give you an overview of the process and share with you the pros and cons.

Nick Tan
(M) +65 9644 4854 
(E) nick96444854@gmail.com
Visit my website to know me better: www.nicktan.com.sg

I was featured recently on Council for Estate Agencies (CEA) Newsletter:

I have written a guide on buying Residential Property:

Testimonial from Satisfied Clients
“Nick is a responsible, efficient and excellent salesperson. He has very good knowledge of the real estate market and I benefited a lot from his advice and sharing. He is extremely patient when guiding me through the buying process and I am happy to secure a dream house within my budget with his assistance. A highly recommended salesperson who made my house hunting journey a breeze.”
Ms Chia (Buyer)

“Nick provides a delightful customer experience from day one when I engage him as my agent to look for a flat of my choice to the completion of the deal. He is competent, resourceful and has a pleasant manner to work with. He is the Agent of my choice in dealing with properties and I would highly recommend him to others who would appreciate an agent that takes care and can give the customer a peaceful mind.”
Susana (Buyer)

“Nick is very pro-active in helping us to resolve whatever questions and problems that we encountered. All the issues are settled even before us having to request or ask for a second time. He was very frank and transparent with all the details, limitations and advantages that we wouldn’t have known. I think this is the most important virtue to be successful in this line. I will surely recommend him to anyone who needs his service because I trust that they will be equally satisfied!!”
Mr and Mrs Chan (Sold and Bought a property through Nick)

“We are very grateful to Nick for his extensive marketing efforts. With his comprehensive marketing plan, he helped us to achieve a record selling price within 2 weeks of listing our property for sale! We highly recommend his service to anyone who is keen to sell their properties.”
Mr & Mrs Wong (Property Seller)

“Nick has conducted himself ethically and professionally when handling the sales of our property. Thanks to his patience and perseverance, we managed to secure a sales price beyond our expectations.
We are very happy and satisfied with his services and will definitely recommend him to our friends and family in the future.”
Mr & Mrs Tan (Seller of Inter-Terrace House) Read More

Yes its possible to decouple the EC ownership and free up your name to purchase private property on your sole name. However, as buying a HDB requires forming a family nucleus, your husband's name needs to be included and hence he will be required to sell the EC, which I believe is not the objective.

I have helped clients to complete their decoupling before and restructure their portfolio according to their needs and objectives.

May I have more info and requirements about your plans so to make better recommendations? Thanks and look forward to value-add to your housing plans.

Warm Regards,

Ivan Ng Realtor
ERA Senior Marketing Director
ERA Diamond Achiever

ERA Top 11 Achiever in June 2020 (Top 1% Company Level)
ERA Top 91 Achiever in 2nd Quarter 2020 (Top 2% Company Level)
ERA Top 15 Achiever in April 2019 (Top 1% Company Level)
ERA Top 86 Achiever in Sept 2019 (Top 2% Company Level)
ERA Top 510 Achiever in Year 2019 (Top 8% Company Level)

SMU BBM (Finance), Magna Cum Laude
Proactive. Sincerity. Feedback.

Contact: (+65) 97432395 
Email: Ivanng10@gmail.com
IG: instagram.com/ivanngrealtor
WeChat: ivanng10
FB: fb.com/IvanNgRealtor
W: ivanng10.com/clientreviews
(Client's Testimonials)
CEA: R052114D

**Note: We are not prompted when you respond here, hence please get in touch directly. Look forward to hear from you soon! **

-- EC Sellers, Private Property Buyers Dr. Chan & Ms. Xie --

I would like to compliment Mr Ivan Ng for his professional work and effort.I sent my first post in Jan 2019 and Ivan replied promptly, so I have decided to contact Ivan for follow up. My EC was not ready for sale due to MOP (another 3 months from Jan) at that time and Ivan was able to give me advices on how to proceed from there. Initially we have decided to try to write to HDB for early sale but since it was only 3 months left, eventually we waited for another 3 months while we looked for our next property. Ivan was able to arrange for new property showroom appointment at a timely manner while helping us to list for our EC for sale. We were a bit worried when our EC sale time was longer than expected due to trade war, but Ivan was able to reassure us that our EC would sell. By November, he managed to secure a buyer for our EC. Thank you. Read More

Yes, you will be able to decouple from the EC, but subjected to the remaining party's TDSR aka bank loan.. You wont be eligible to buy resale HDB / BTO with your daughter as you need to form a family nucleus with your spouse. You will be eligible to buy private condo / resale EC without any restrictions.. Do feel free to contact me for further info if you would like to know the figures and costs for decoupling... Thanks

Lyna Song
 9623 8442 
Associate Group Director
Propnex Realty Pte Ltd
https://r025113i.propnex.net Read More
Robbie Chen Chee Howe
Hi Mdm,

Yes you're right, it's possible to decouple your EC once you have met the 5-year MOP. This way, your name will be freed up to purchase another property without incurring ABSD.

However, should you purchase a resale HDB flat with your daughter, your husband will also need to be included as the "essential occupier". This means that he will need to dispose off the EC latest within 6 months upon your HDB flat purchase.

I suppose the above is not what you're looking for. There may be other options for you to consider in today's market.

I am experienced and well-versed in both HDB and private transactions. I will be able to assist you in your property plans.

Should you need require further assistance in matters relating to property, please contact me at my mobile 9748 6305  .

Thank you.

Best regards,
Robbie Chen
 9748 6305 
PropNex Realty Read More
Hi, I would be most glad to assist you further and pls feel free to let me know if you need any assistance. Hope to hear from you soon and have a great week ahead. By the way, yes it is possible to decouple once MOP is met.

Aaron Chong
 9730 8455 
aaronchong2774@yahoo.com.sg Read More
Hi there,

Yes you can decouple - if you intend to get a private property.

For any property related to HDB, you and your spouse will always be one, to maintain the family nucleus.

I have a better suggestion for you if you want to include your daughter in the equation.

Feel free to contact me to discuss further.

Teck Chuan
BBA (Finance), NUS
Marketing Director
ERA Realty Network Pte Ltd
Mobile: 91374602  Read More