2 Answers


Firstly, it is important to understand if the property is held under a joint tenancy or tenancy-in-common arrangement.

Secondly, you need to check if your aged father is a joint applicant or occupier. If he is a joint applicant under a joint tenancy arrangement, then the right of survivorship will apply. This means as long as you are above 21-years-old, the HDB flat will be automatically transfer to you as a sole owner.

If it is held under tenancy-in-common your father's share in the flat will be distributed according to his will or distributed according to the provisions of the Intestate Succession Act, if there is no will. For this you will need to apply for a Letter of Administration.

If there is a will, you will need to obtain a Grant of Probate to manage your father's estate. His share in the HDB flat will then be transfer to the beneficiary or beneficiaries named in your father's will. They must be at least 21-years-old and be a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident to be eligible to retain the flat with you under any of HDB's schemes.

You will then need to go down to HDB's nearest branch office together with the death certificate, Letter of Administration or Grant of Probate and the will, NRICs of all the flat owners and duplicate of the lease of your father's flat.

So log in to your My HDBPage and check under 'My Flat', 'Purchased Flat' and 'Flat Details and Minimum Occupation Period (MOP)' then go back to the steps above that I have mentioned.

Hope this helps.


Mohamad Khalil

Bachelor of Arts (Communications)
E: realtor@khalilrealtor.com
Mobile: +65 8201 9254 
Website: www.khalilrealtor.com Read More
Appreciate your sharing, able to check with HDB Branch for assistance with latest info you have, so that you can proceed with your next plan.
Welcome any questions at 9696 4398  via phone or WhatsApp. Email is Stewartlim96964398@gmail.com
Stewart-PropNex Read More