2 Answers

askguru expert
Hi there, thanks for writing to us on AskGuru.

You will need to be registered as an occupant with HDB.

The law of contract states that there must be the following elements for a contract to be binding:
1. Intention to create legal relations
2. Offer (such as issuing of Tenancy Agreement to the tenant)
3. Acceptance (tenant has accepted the Tenancy Agreement by signing it)
4. Consideration (A security deposit as a promise to rent the property)

Therefore, for the contract to be legally binding, there must be some form of consideration. This means the rental cannot be $0.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Team PropertyGuru
Ling CK

1) Both ways are feasible.
2) They just need to log onto hdb.gov.sg using Singpass to register you as occupier or tenant.
3) If they prefer to register you under tenant, you may key in $1 as rent, or any small amount, as this should not affect their income tax payment.

Hope the above answer to your main concerns, but if there are more query, please feel free to contact me at 90110636, or email: ling.ck7@gmail.com if more information is needed.
I'll be glad to assist.

Best regards
Ling CK

Any response to our answer does not reach us until we scroll through each and every query posted daily.
The best way to get a follow-up is to Whatsapp or email us directly.