2 Answers

askguru expert
Hi there, thanks for writing to us on AskGuru.

You can find reliable agents for your home buying, selling or renting needs here: https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/property-agent-directory

If you are a flat owner of a flat that is 3-room or bigger, you can rent out your spare bedroom.

Do note there are strict HDB rules and regulations that you must adhere to when renting out your room. You must seek HDB's approval before you rent out your bedrooms or when you renew the tenancy. The minimum rental period for each tenant must be 6 months per application. You are not allowed to rent out your bedrooms on a short-term basis, as it may disrupt the living environment and pose security concerns for HDB's residents.

Do note, if you are renting out your bedrooms, the number of bedrooms that flat owners can rent out and the maximum number of occupants allowed is 1 bedroom for a 3-room flat and 2 bedroom for a 4-room or bigger flat. The number of maximum occupants* allowed in each flat is 6 respectively.

Persons who wish to rent bedrooms must be:
- Singapore Citizens
- Singapore Permanent Residents
- Non-citizens legally residing in Singapore who are holders of Employment Passes, S Passes, Work Permits, Student Passes, Dependant Passes, or Long-Term Social Visit Passes. These passes must have a validity period of at least 6 months as at the date of application
- Work Permit holders from the construction, marine and process sectors must be Malaysians
- Tourists are not allowed to rent any HDB flat/ bedroom.

A landlord is required to check original NRIC or FINS of the tenants and occupiers for forgery and make copies. check photographs on NRICs or FINS against the actual persons to confirm identity and verify the validity of the passes with MOM database and/or ICA database. As an added due diligence, you may also ask for letter of employment from employer. This is to deter illegal immigrants or vice activities. This is required by the Council of Estate Agencies for compliance with the Immigration and Women's Charter.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Team PropertyGuru Read More


Wong Mei Foong

I am happy to assist you. Feel free to contact me via whatsapp or call at 8938 7686

Mei Foong
8938 7686
(CEA Reg No: R063413E) Read More