GuocoLand breaks ground for mixed-use project in China

Victor Kang26 Sep 2019

Located in a prime location next to the Jiefangbei (Liberation Square) Central Business District, Chongqing 18 Steps’ first phase features more than 1,000 luxurious modern apartments.

GuocoLand has broken ground for the first phase of its mixed-use development project within the Yuzhong District of Chongqing, China.

Dubbed Chongqing 18 Steps, the RMB7.5 billion (S$1.45 billion) project comprises residential and commercial components and has a total gross floor area of around 341,000 sq m.

GuocoLand owns a 75 percent stake in the development, while the remaining 25 percent is owned by Hong Leong Holdings (China).

The groundbreaking ceremony was attended by Chongqing Yuzhong District Committee Secretary Huang Yulin as well as officials from Yuzhong District government. Also present were GuocoLand’s board of directors and senior management.

Located in a prime location next to the Jiefangbei (Liberation Square) Central Business District, Chongqing 18 Steps’ first phase features more than 1,000 luxurious modern apartments spread across five high-rise residential towers, the tallest of which has a maximum height of 193 metres. GuocoLand expects the residences to be completed by 2023.

The large-scale mixed-use development will also include integrated retail podiums that offer lifestyle and dining options to residents as well as two conserved buildings which are being restored and converted for educational and commercial use.

“This development is not only GuocoLand’s first project in Chongqing, it is also our largest development in terms of gross floor area and one of the largest investments we have made in China in recent years,” said GuocoLand group president and chief executive officer Raymond Choong.

“Chongqing is a new market for GuocoLand and we remain committed to China, which is one of our core markets. Our investment reflects our conviction in China’s continued economic prospects and we will continue to seek opportunities to build scale and deepen our presence in China.”

For the latest property news, trends, resources and expert opinions, visit our Property News page. Home buyers looking for Singapore Properties may like to visit our ListingsProject Reviews and Guides.

Victor Kang, Digital Content Specialist at PropertyGuru, edited this story. To contact him about this or other stories, email


You may also like these articles

GuocoLand leads nominations for PropertyGuru Awards

Singapore’s best residential, commercial, industrial and green properties will be awarded. More than 20 real estate projects from 16 companies and joint venture firms have been shortlisted for the

Continue Reading28 Sep 2017

GuocoLand acquires Casa Meyfort for S$319.88mil

GuocoLand Limited, via its fully owned subsidiary First Meyer Development, has exercised the option to purchase Casa Meyfort condominium along Meyer Road through a collective sale for $319.88 million.

Continue Reading11 Jul 2018

GuocoLand optimistic about Singapore luxury property

Cheng Hsing Yao, Group Managing Director of GuocoLand Singapore.By contributorProperty developer GuocoLand remains optimistic on the prospects for the luxury housing market despite the muted economic

Continue Reading6 Sep 2019