Divorcees sharing care of children to seek mutual agreement before listing child as essential occupier

Christopher Chitty12 Jul 2018

Divorced parents who share care and custody of their children should seek the consent of their ex-spouse before they can list the child as an essential occupier in their application for a subsidised HDB flat.

“This ensures fairness to both parties, as HDB is not in a position to determine which parent should exercise the right to list the child,” said Senior Parliamentary Secretary for National Development Sun Xueling in Parliament on Wednesday (11 July).

She revealed that divorcees wanting to buy a subsidised HDB flat can form a family nucleus by listing their children who are under their care and custody as essential occupiers in their application.

Those awarded by the court with shared care and control of children also share the right to list the children in their flat application.

But since an individual may only be listed in one HDB application, parents with shared care and control are required to secure their ex-spouse’s agreement prior to listing the child in a flat application.

“Nonetheless, those who cannot reach an agreement with their ex-spouse may approach HDB to discuss their options,” added Sun.


Senior Content Producer, Christopher Chitty, edited this story. 


You may also like these articles

Tengah to be Singapore’s first smart energy town

Tengah will be Singapore's newest town.In a bid to create smart and eco-friendly homes for Singaporeans, the Housing and Development Board (HDB) has inked three new research agreements with three diff

Continue Reading11 Jul 2018

En bloc plans push through while others put on hold amid new curbs

Homeowners of Dalvey Court have been advised to extend the tender closing date in light of new cooling measures by the governmentHomeowners eyeing to go on en bloc have put their plans on hold or went

Continue Reading11 Jul 2018

Over a thousand unauthorised short-term stays reported between 2015 - 2017

The government has received 1,808 reports of unauthorised short-term accommodations (STA) in private residential units and 390 reports in housing board flats from 2015 to 2017, said Minister for Natio

Continue Reading12 Jul 2018