Although no official date has been announced, Singaporeans have already been told to expect the upcoming 2020 Singapore General Elections (GE) to coincide with Phase 2 of the post-circuit breaker reopening measures, possibly early next month. And as we inch closer to July, the usual suspects are slowly showing up to the party.
In addition to the polling news headlines and contesting party lineups, this weekend also saw key announcements from the incumbent People’s Action Party (PAP) regarding their five-year upgrading plans for Tanjong Pagar and Bukit Timah-Holland GRCs.
These 5-year masterplans are usually accompanied by exhibitions, however, in light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, the MPs took to social media to make the announcements instead.
Here’s an overview of what was shared by Trade and Industry Minister Chan Chun Sing (Tanjong Pagar GRC) and Foreign Affairs Minister Vivian Balakrishnan (Bukit Timah-Holland GRC).
5-Year upgrading plans for Tanjong Pagar GRC and Radin Mas SMC
For Tanjong Pagar Town, the following upgrades were announced by Mr Chan.
- Enhanced with more greenery, promoting biodiversity in the neighbourhood with more green spaces
- More barrier-free access ramps, outdoor lifts, sheltered linkways and drop-off porches
- More fitness corners, playgrounds, and multi purpose halls
- Continuous upgrading of old facilities like hawker centres and wet markets
- Repainting of external flat facades
- Renovating playgrounds
- Neighbourhood Renewal Programmes and Repair and Redecoration Programmes over the next 5 years
Generally, the upgrades for Tanjong Pagar and Radin Mas strive to improve accessibility, safety and convenience. Think wheelchair-friendly ramps, sheltered walkways and the likes. There will also be more fitness corners, playgrounds and multi-purpose halls built over the next five years.
Appealing for feedback and suggestions, the MPs also hinted that they will be renovating the existing playgrounds and repainting the block facades.
In the video, MP Chia Shi-Lu, Vice Chairman of Tanjong Pagar Town Council, also highlighted the upcoming MRT stations on the Thomson-East Coast line (due to be ready next year) and Circle Line (stage six, slated for completion in 2025).
On the Tanjong Pagar GRC page, a recap of the improvements made in the past five years was also shared.
- Facelifts for 49 blocks in Buona Vista and their surroundings, including the Lift Replacement Programme that replaced old elevators at HDB flats, multi-storey car parks and an overhead bridge
- Upgrades for car parks that replaced and added light fixtures to footpaths and driveways
- Upgrades for 14 playgrounds and fitness corners, and a hardcourt
- New and improved covered linkways, barrier-free access ramps and shelters
- New Silver Zone along Commonwealth Drive for seniors
Like what you see? Shop for the top properties for sale in Tanjong Pagar on PropertyGuru or read about HDB resale prices in the North, South and Central Singapore regions.
5-Year upgrading plans for Bukit Timah-Holland GRC and Bukit Panjang SMC
The Bukit Timah-Holland GRC and Bukit Panjang SMC is a much bigger zone, so the announcement was split into five videos, one for each division (Cashew, Zhenghua, Bukit Timah, Bukit Panjang and Ulu Pandan).
Compared to the Tanjong Pagar Town announcement, it was also a lot more detailed, including the exact addresses of the areas to be upgraded.
Cashew estate upgrades:
- 5 new covered linkways
- 2 new sheltered ramps and staircases
- 12 new roofs over existing ramps
- 10 new drop-off porches
- New pavilion, bbq pit and sheltered fitness corner at block 13 Petir Road, and block 144, 145 Petir Road
- New community hall and therapeutic garden between block 172 and 175 Gangsa/Lompang Road
- New Cashew precinct marker
- New precinct block colour scheme (brown, beige and white)
Shop for properties for sale in the Cashew estate or read about HDB resale prices in West Singapore.
Zhenghua estate upgrades:
- 4 new covered linkways
- 8 new drop-off points
- 3 new vertical gardens
- 3 new residents’ gym at blocks 520, 522 and 524 Jelapang Road
- New Segar Court
- New multi-purpose hall at block 546 Segar Road Upgrading of existing drop-off points at blocks 632A, 632B, 633B Senja Road
- Upgrading of multi-purpose hall at block 654 Senja Road
- New precinct block colour scheme (olive green and white)
Shop for properties for sale in the Zhenghua estate or read about HDB resale prices in West Singapore.
Bukit Timah estate upgrades:
- 2 new sheltered linkways and staircases
- 3 new canopy extensions (for drop-off porches)
- New firefly hall
- New bbq pit with shelter
- New community garden
- Upgrading of plazas to flower garden theme, with new seatings
- Upgrading of pavilions to feature seatings with armrests and backrests
- Upgrading of community hall at 306A Clementi Ave 4
Shop for properties for sale in Bukit Timah or read about HDB resale prices in West Singapore. Plus, check out our Area Insider review of the Bukit Timah estate.
Ulu Pandan (Ghim Moh, Sunset Way and Farrer Gardens Estates) upgrades:
- 14 new covered linkways
- 5 new sheltered barrier-free access ramps
- 2 new drop-off porches
- New community hall between blocks 8,17, 18 and 21 Ghim Moh Road
- New pavilions between blk 2 and 3 Ghim Moh Road, and 16 Ghim Moh Road
- Upgrading of plaza and amphitheatre at Sunset Way Neighbourhood Park Clementi Road
- New precinct signage
Shop for properties for sale in Bukit Timah or read about HDB resale prices in West Singapore.
Bukit Panjang estate upgrades:
- 8 new covered linkways
- 2 new drop-off points
- 10 new residents' gyms
- New vertical gardens
- New community hall (105 Gangsa Road)
- Upgrading of BBQ pits
- New precinct signage
- New pedestrian directional signages
- New precinct block colour scheme (orange, beige and white)
On a related note, improvements to public transport in the Bukit Panjang are also already underway, including the $344 million overhaul of the 20-year-old Bukit Panjang LRT line (ready in 2024).
Shop for properties for sale in Bukit Panjang or read about HDB resale prices in West Singapore.
Shopping for a new home?
Head to PropertyGuru to browse the top properties for sale in Singapore.
Need help financing your latest property purchase?
Let the Home Finance Advisors at PropertyGuru Finance help you find the best deals.