3 Answers

askguru expert
Hi there, thanks for writing to us on AskGuru.

A landlord is bounded by the following covenants to a tenant:
1. Quiet enjoyment of the premises, which means tenant can enjoy the use of the premises without interference.
2. Non-derogation from the grant, landlord must observe all the terms granted to tenant.
3. Property must be fit for habitation at the start of the lease term;
4. Structure and facilities must be in good repair.
5. Good title. He is the owner and has the right to rent.
6. Pay property tax and quit rent if any
7. Exclusive possession of the premises for the fixed term, so long as the fixed term given has not expired.
8. If landlord has sold or transferred his interest, buyer or successor-in-title is bound to observe the terms of the lease granted

When a tenant signs a Tenancy Agreement with a landlord, he/she is bounded by the following covenants:
1. To pay rent
2. Keep the premises in good repair
3. No unauthorised alterations
4. Not to commit waste
5. Not to sublet
6. Allow access to landlord or potential tenant or buyer to view premises.
7. Pay all other rates, utilities etc.
8. Not to cause nuisance; and
9. Use the premises for its permitted purpose;

Under points 2, 3 and 4, of the tenant's covenant, as long as you do not cause damage to the property, the landlord must refund you the security deposit immediately if there are no major repairs required. It is the landlord's responsibility to return the deposit as stated in your Tenancy Agreement.

What you can do is to do an inventory check when taking over and handing over the property so that there are no defects and disputes upon the end of your Tenancy Agreement.

If all else fails, you may approach the Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC) or Consumer Association of Singapore (CASE) for rental disputes. You can also approach the Small Claims Tribunal (SCT). You will need to present all documents such as emails, text messages and Tenancy Agreement when presenting your case.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Team PropertyGuru
Geryl Lim
Dear sir/madam,

If there is any disputes in the forfeiture, you may file a small claim against the landlord should amount of deposit is less than $20,000.


Warmest regards,
Geryl Lim
Associate Deputy Group Director
Salesperson Registration No. R014783H
Email: geryl.lim@orangetee.com / geryl7772@gmail.com
OrangeTee & Tie Pte Ltd 430 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh #01-01 OrangeTee Building Singapore 319402
Estate Agent Licence No. L3009250K
[main] +65 6471 8888 [mob] +65 81577565 [LDA] +65 92787772
Note: We value your home as much as you do! Find out the indicative value of your home at http://bit.ly/UrHomeMatters and get monthly update on your home value. Restructure your portfolio with us, speak to us!

Tenants can visit http://bit.ly/SGExpatRental (Official Rental Requirements - Singapore Expatriates) to indicate your rental requirements.

Visit and Like my facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/GerylLimSince2009/ - Aspiring To Be The Best Real Estate Agent In Singapore

Pick up knowledge, skills and Real Estate concepts at https://www.facebook.com/RealEstateXcellence/

New Singapore Expatriates on facebook is up and running. Come join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/newsgexpats/

My self introductory video on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ6REQfdGSw
Landed Dynamic Alliance
Home of *7772 Hotline
Check out our latest Landed Dynamic Alliance 7772 mobile application on iOS or Android @ http://l.ead.me/7772
Hakim Halim
So far you only hear stories from 3rd parties. It seems you have not contacted him yet.

The best is to ask him nicely.
Is there are any deductions you need to take note of when the deposit is returned at the end of tenancy? And if so, request for him to list it now.
Whatever the answer is, clarify with him in an amicable fashion. Hope it works out for you!

- Hakim Realtor
9144 9841