1 Answer

askguru expert
Hi Wang Joseph, thanks for writing to us on AskGuru.

You may browse our listings and connect directly with agents who may have units that suit your budget and requirements here: https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/property-for-rent

When you rent a private property, you are required to give a Letter of Intent. This letter is a proposal from a tenant to the landlord to lease the property with the conditions set by you. By signing the document the landlord accepts the conditions, which normally has been agreed verbally beforehand. The tenant typically gives the landlord one month's rental as a good faith deposit at this point.

For the lease of HDB properties, you are required to give a one or two months deposit for a one or two years lease respectively with a minimum rental period of 6 months.

Do note that the minimum rental period for HDB flats and condominiums are 6 consecutive months and 3 consecutive months respectively. You will also be subjected to the Non-Citizen Quota and the maximum number of allowable tenant when renting an HDB flat. There is also stamp duty that you need to pay for lease agreement.

You must be any of the following to rent a flat or bedroom as a tenant:
- Singapore Citizen
- Singapore Permanent Resident
- Non-citizen legally residing in Singapore who holds an Employment Pass, S Pass, Work Permit, Student Pass, Dependant Pass, or Long-Term Social Visit Pass. The pass must have a validity period of at least 6 months as at the date of application by the flat owners:
- Work Permit holders from the construction, marine, and process sectors must be Malaysians. Work Permit holders from the manufacturing sector must also be Malaysians if they are renting a whole HDB flat

All types of private residential property are subjected to an occupancy cap of six unrelated persons per property. Unrelated persons refer to anyone who is not part of the same family unit. Domestic helpers are considered part of the same family unit. The occupancy cap also applies to tenants who sublet the property.

A landlord is required to check original NRIC or FINS of the tenants and occupiers for forgery and make copies, check photographs on NRICs or FINS against the actual persons to confirm identity and verify the validity of the passes with MOM database and/or ICA database. As an added due diligence, they may also ask for letter of employment from employer. This is to deter illegal immigrants or vice activities. This is required by the Council of Estate Agencies for compliance with the Immigration and Women's Charter.

You may refer to our renting guide here: https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/property-guides/your-housing-guide-to-renting-in-singapore-5347

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Team PropertyGuru Read More