2 Answers

askguru expert
Hi Anonymous, thanks for writing to us on AskGuru.

Yes, you can via a process called novation. A novation transfers both the rights and obligations under the contract to another party. A novation may be executed in a situation where you transfer all the tenancy rights and obligations to an incoming, replacement tenant, with the consent of the landlord. In short, a novation replaces the original party with a new party.

For a valid novation, there must be the following conditions:
1. all parties must assent to novation,
2. there must be a previously valid contract,
3. the duties provided for in the contract be extinguished immediately, and a new, enforceable contract need be created

In your case, you find a new tenant with your landlord’s consent. Then, a novation agreement is signed with the incoming tenant taking over the obligations of the tenancy.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Team PropertyGuru Read More


Aaron Chong
Hi, you will have to seek the landlord’s approval.

9730 8455
aaronchong2774@yahoo.com.sg Read More