1 Answer

askguru expert
Hi Mckenzie G, thanks for writing to us on AskGuru.

We are sorry to hear about your situation.

When you sign a tenancy agreement, you have an interest in the property giving you exclusive possession for a fixed period of a certain duration, usually in consideration of a payment termed 'rent'.

The essential features of the tenancy are as follows:
- Tenant has exclusive possession of the property.
- Tenancy runs for a certain or fixed period of time.
- Landlord’s rights are subject to the tenancy.
- Landlord has reversionary interest of the property upon termination of the tenancy.

A landlord is bounded by the following covenants to a tenant:
1. Quiet enjoyment of the premises, which means tenant can enjoy the use of the premises without interference.
2. Non-derogation from the grant, landlord must observe all the terms granted to tenant.
3. Property must be fit for habitation at the start of the lease term;
4. Structure and facilities must be in good repair.
5. Good title. He is the owner and has the right to rent.
6. Pay property tax and quit rent if any
7. Exclusive possession of the premises for the fixed term, so long as the fixed term given has not expired.
8. If landlord has sold or transferred his interest, buyer or successor-in-title is bound to observe the terms of the lease granted

Under points 1 and 2 of the landlord's covenant, she has breached her agreement by not giving you quiet enjoyment and not observing the terms of the Tenancy Agreement.

You may approach the Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC) or Consumer Association of Singapore (CASE) for rental disputes. If all else fails, you can approach the Small Claims Tribunal (SCT). You will need to present all documents such as emails, text messages and Tenancy Agreement when presenting your case.

If the situation persists, you can take legal action against your landlord.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Team PropertyGuru Read More