If the rest of Singapore is too metropolitan for you, visiting Kallang and Lavender in District 12 is like taking a trip down memory lane.
While Kallang is home to various industrial developments such as Kallang Basin Industrial Park, Kallang Place and Kallang Distripark, Lavender is largely a residential area.
Many old flats, temples, automotive shops and hardware stores there help to retain some of Singapore’s antiquity while simultaneously giving the entire area a calming 1980s atmosphere.
There are several public schools in Kallang; Dunman High, Hong Wen, Bendeemer Primary and Secondary. ITE Balestier is also located in the vicinity.
The relative closeness of District 12 to Orchard coupled with significantly lower property prices in the area ($1,000 to $1, 5000 psf) makes District 12 very attractive for people with a preference to live in the East.
Revamps are already on the way and old buildings are being torn down and replaced with new condos. Major roadways are also underway with new road links such as Woodleigh flyover and the KPE making commuting to and fro District 12 convenient and far more accessible.
District 12 is also home to several noteworthy landmarks;
1. The Immigration & Checkpoint Authority (ICA) is conveniently located just outside of Lavender MRT station and is one the area’s most well-known landmarks.
2. The Kallang Riverside Park is a favourite location for water-skiers and canoeists. The Park which connects with the Kallang River is commonly used for water sports competition and training.
3. The Singapore Indoor Stadium and Singapore Sports Hub are also located in Kallang.
4. A shopping mall, Leisure Park is nearby and accessible via Stadium MRT.
5. Singapore’s first airport; Kallang Airport resides here. It is currently unoccupied.
Written by: Christopher Chitty