4 Answers

askguru expert
Hi there, thanks for writing to us on AskGuru.

Welcome to Singapore!

A Tenancy Agreement is usually valid for 1 or 2-years. If you are renting for 1 year, you will have to pay a deposit equivalent to one month's rent. For a 2-year lease, the deposit payable it equivalent to two months' rent.

If you have an agent to represent you as a tenant, the commission payable is usually equivalent to half-a-month's or one month's rent for a 1 year or 2-year lease respectively. You will have to pay the commission and not the landlord.

The landlord will pay the agent's fee for the agent representing the landlord.

The landlord's agent is not allowed to collect commission from the landlord and agent as dual representation is not allowed.

You may first start by browsing our listings and connect directly with agents who may have units that suit your budget and requirements here: https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/property-for-rent

Usually, for an expatriate tenant there is a diplomatic clause.

A diplomatic clause in a tenancy agreement where the landlord gives special permission to an expatriate tenant to terminate the tenancy before expiry in the event the tenant has to leave Singapore due to work assignment or layoff by the employer. It does not apply when the tenant resigns on his/her own accord. If you break the lease via a diplomatic clause, then the landlord must return the 2-month deposit. Otherwise, the landlord is entitled to forfeit the deposit.

Utilities are not included in the rent, You will have to subscribed to the different services on your own.

All types of private residential property are subjected to an occupancy cap of six unrelated persons per property. Unrelated persons refer to anyone who is not part of the same family unit. Domestic helpers are considered part of the same family unit. The occupancy cap also applies to tenants who sublet the property.

Do note private residential properties must be rented out for at least three consecutive months.

A landlord is required to check original NRIC or FINS of the tenants and occupiers for forgery and make copies, check photographs on NRICs or FINS against the actual persons to confirm identity and verify the validity of the passes with MOM database and/or ICA database. As an added due diligence, they may also ask for letter of employment from employer. This is to deter illegal immigrants or vice activities. This is required by the Council of Estate Agencies for compliance with the Immigration and Women's Charter.

You will find our rental guide here useful: https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/property-guides/singapore-expat-renting-guide-36336

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Team PropertyGuru Read More


Travis Lim
Robbie Chen Chee Howe
Hi Dustin,

Welcome to Singapore! I hope you enjoy your stay here!

I understand that you're looking to rent an apartment here, and thought I may be able to assist you. Do get in touch with me for further discussion.

Should you need require further assistance in matters relating to property, please contact me at my mobile 9748 6305.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Robbie Chen
9748 6305
PropNex Realty Read More


Hazel Wong You Er
Hello Mr Dustin,

Welcome to Sg, With regards to your question, actually it really depends very much on each unit you view. The golden rule of thumb is - An agent is not allowed to dual represent. such that if he or she collects commission from 1 side of the deal, he or she is not allowed to collect commission from the other party (landlord / tenant)

Typically, when you approach any agents on this portal, the agents usually are represent.ed by the owners. However even as an agent represent an owner, it does not automatically mean that the owner is paying him / her commission especially in the recent 14 to 15 months since it is now a very strong "landlord's market" due to pretty strong undersupply in housing throughout sg. This means the agent can be advertising the unit for the landlord, representing the landlord, but collecting rental from tenant. In such case there is no conflict of interest.

the easiest way to find out if u need to pay commission is to simply ask. (though i think in this climate, you will find a lot of agents not replying since the property may be out of the market before they have time to even react.

Alternatively you can engage an agent directly and determine your commission to be payable, let the agent do all the legwork for you.

Hope this helps :)

Hazel wong
Huttons Asia PL
91506723 Read More