The Ministry of National Development (MND) revealed that about 990 and 4,200 first-timer families were unsuccessful in their application for a flat in August and November 2018 BTO exercises.
A total of 5,190 first-timer families have been unsuccessful in their attempt to apply for a flat during two Build-to-Order exercises held last year.
In a written answer to Parliament on Monday (2 September), the Ministry of National Development (MND) revealed that about 990 and 4,200 first-timer families were unsuccessful in their application for a flat in August and November 2018 BTO exercises.
The number of unsuccessful applicants for the BTO exercises in February and May are not yet available given that flat selections are still ongoing, as said.
Nonetheless, the ministry noted that first-timer families who have been unsuccessful in two applications for homes within non-mature estates received an additional ballot chance per subsequent application in such estates.
“As a result, over the past two years, among the first-timer families who applied for a BTO flat in non-mature estates, all have been successful by their third attempt.”
In another written reply, the ministry underscored that the balloting time for BTO flats during the May 2019 sales exercise has been reduced from six weeks to three weeks.
“This means that three weeks after the sales exercise, applicants will be notified of their queue number,” said MND.
“Thereafter, they will be invited to select a unit in sequence. It takes around four to six months for the flat selection to be completed. This is because HDB has to schedule individual appointments for every applicant, and take the time to engage them, and assist them in making their flat selections.”
When asked whether it will raise the income ceilings, the ministry explained that about eight in 10 Singaporeans are able to purchase a subsidised flat at the present income ceiling of $12,000 and households earning up to $14,000 can buy an executive condominium (EC) from property developers.
With this, the Housing Board “turned down an average of about 360 applications per year for new flats and ECs due to income ceilings” from 2016 to 2018.
Agnes Ong at PropertyGuru, edited this story. To contact her about this or other stories, email firstname.lastname@example.org