6 Answers

askguru expert
Hi there, thanks for writing to us on AskGuru.

An EC can be sold in the open market after it has met its 5-year Minimum Occupation Period (MOP). This is computed from the date of issuance of the Temporary Occupation Permit (TOP). After the 5-year MOP, from the 6th to 10th year, ECs can be sold in the open market to Singaporeans and PRs only.

After the 10th years, it can be sold in the open market to foreigners and corporate bodies.

In this case, you may not be eligible for the purchase and should look for another EC instead.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Team PropertyGuru Read More


Ivan Ng

For single SPR, you would have to purchase units that has reached MOP of 5 years. Only the homeowners who fulfil that and want to sell will be able to see to you if there is an consensus on price.

May I have more info and requirements about your plans so to make better recommendations? Thanks and look forward to value-add to your housing plans.

Warm Regards,

Ivan Ng Realtor
ERA Senior Marketing Director
ERA Diamond Achiever

ERA Top 11 Achiever in June 2020 (Top 1% Company Level)
ERA Top 91 Achiever in 2nd Quarter 2020 (Top 2% Company Level)
ERA Top 15 Achiever in April 2019 (Top 1% Company Level)
ERA Top 86 Achiever in Sept 2019 (Top 2% Company Level)
ERA Top 510 Achiever in Year 2019 (Top 8% Company Level)

SMU BBM (Finance), Magna Cum Laude
Proactive. Sincerity. Feedback.

Contact: (+65) 97432395
Email: Ivanng10@gmail.com
IG: instagram.com/ivanngrealtor
WeChat: ivanng10
FB: fb.com/IvanNgRealtor
W: ivanng10.com/clientreviews
(Client's Testimonials)
CEA: R052114D

**Note: We are not prompted when you respond here, hence please get in touch directly. Look forward to hear from you soon! ** Read More


Aaron Chong
Hi, for your case, I don’t think you could purchase those unit since you are a PR as those units criteria or eligibility will be likened to a local buyer only.

9730 8455
aaronchong2774@yahoo.com.sg Read More


Taufik Hussein

It is highly unlikely you are able to purchase an EC that has not met 5 years MOP even in cases where sellers has special permission to sell as all ECs within 5 years period are reserved only for Singaporeans. You may consider those ECs that has just met MOP or resale condominium. I do provide 100 % free services in serving buyers of private property (including resale ECs). My service includes consultation including financial calculation on your profile, assisting you in getting a loan if need to, search and arrange for viewings of units that meet your needs and requirements, negotiate on your behalf, ensuring you did not overpay for the unit beyond it's market price and handling the purchasing processes on your behalf. Do contact me at 93375051 for a free and non obligatory discussions on this.

Taufik Hussein
ERA Realty Network Pte Ltd Read More


Jeren Tan

PR only can purchase EC unit that have reached 5 years timeline.
We can have further discussion to give you some alternative options and recommendation according to your requirements.
You can contact call me at 9623 5554 for a discussion.

Best Regards
Jeren Tan
9623 5554
ERA Realty Network Pte Ltd Read More


Robbie Chen Chee Howe

Yes you're right, as a Single SPR, you can only purchase a resale EC that the first owner has met the 5-year MOP.

I am experienced and well-versed in both HDB and private transactions. I will be able to assist you in your property plans.

Should you need require further assistance in matters relating to property, please contact me at my mobile 9748 6305. I will be happy to assess and share with you the possibilities for you in the current market.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Robbie Chen
9748 6305
PropNex Realty Read More