4 Answers

askguru expert
Hi there, thanks for writing to us on AskGuru.

The Council for Estate Agencies (CEA) requires all property agents to enrol in the compulsory Real Estate Salesperson (RES) Course and then pass the RES examinations. You will be given a 2-year period to pass the examinations. The courses are provided for by several private training bodies. On top of that, you must be at least 21-years-old, possesses the prescribed educational qualifications (a minimum of 4 GCE O’Level passes or equivalent) or experience, will be or is employed by a licensed real estate agency as a salesperson and you do not hold a licence as any other real estate agency. You must also not hold or is an employee, a director or a partner of a person who holds a moneylender’s licence. Lastly, you must comply with requirements including continuing education (such as taking up compulsory courses to renew your licence).

Once you have passed your RES courses and examinations, you may wish to join any real estate agencies in Singapore. Do note that you cannot conduct any real estate agency work without a licence. All salespersons will have to be registered by the CEA. Anyone who contravenes the Estate Agents Act shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine up to $25,000 or to an imprisonment of up to a year.

An agent's work is not for the faint hearted as your income stream is not constant unlike being an employee of a company. On some months you may make up to a five figure income and on some, even less. For starters, most agents start off doing rentals as the commission is immediate. This will help tide you through as your commission from a property sales may take between 3 to 6 months. In some cases, even longer. The property market is cyclical so you may ride it during the boom time but you may also suffer a drop in income during the downturn. You must also take into consideration the worst case scenario if a client ends up not paying your commission. These are some of the harsh realities of being an agent.

When choosing a mentor, choose one who can really guide you and be there for you as the property market is ever changing and is filled with many challenges.

We wish you all the best in your real estate career.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Team PropertyGuru
Andrew Yap
Hi, my name is William Goh, Andrew Yap’s manager/mentor, also my business partner, account to reply you.
Firstly, To be a property agent, you must be age 21 to enrol for your RES course, must be a Singapore Citizen or permanent resident with min 4 O level passes. You have to register and pass the RES examinations. You cannot work as RES part-time without CEA license. Alternatively, you may apply for part time administrative work in a real estate agency which do not need CEA license.
To know more about me (William Goh) and RES journey, I sincerely welcome you to visit my website:
For more into on this industry you may visit:
Please feel free to email, call/sms me (William Goh) @9477-3900, to arrange a meet-up to discuss more, strictly no obligations. Look forward to hear from you.
In the meantime, you are also welcome to visit my website to know more about me and my team, WGD, in PropNex:
Best Regards, William Goh, mobile 9477-3900
Group District Director
Team Leader/Recruitment/Training
CEA Reg No: 010617A
Powerful Negotiator, The No 1 Team in PropNex
Email: williamgoh88@gmail.com
PropNex Realty Pte Ltd
CEA Reg No: 3008022J
Michael Wong

The basic criteria to be eligible is -
1. min 21 yrs old
2. Must have 4 ‘O' level passes.

Then, you will need to register at the Council for Estate Agencies (CEA) and enrol for the new council course provider & exam, Real Estate Salesperson (RES) (and pass the exam).
REA - The exam for agent keen to set his own agency.
RES - The exam for agent planning to be salesperson.

Professional Indemnity & Public Liability Insurance- Name cards and Tag
Then, you may join any agency of your choice.
Check website out: www.cea.gov.sg

Alternatively, if you do not possess 4 ‘O' level passes, you have to take and pass a test, called - WPLN (Workplace Literacy & Numeric skills) conducted by WDA (Workforce Development Agency) before you can register for the RES course, conducted by CEA. Once you've passed RES, you may join any agency of your choice.

Here's a quick intro on my team :

My team have a very systematic way of training our associates. We have a track record of producing many Top Producers, Top Managers and Top Rookies. Your initial phase of learning is very important. Don't make the mistake of joining the wrong team. Mentorship and training can make or break a property agent's career. Don't compromise on that! Join a reputable company with a reputable team! Which has upheld its reputation for years too!

Today, we would like to invite you to meet us for a fulfilling and promising career opportunity. We are constantly on the lookout for enthusiastic and prospective individuals and real estate agents to come & join us for new & exciting opportunities. We have many interesting projects lined up for you to explore & experience with fantastic commissions for the motivated people who aim to achieve!

If you are keen to meet up, please feel free to contact me at my mobile and email listed below to arrange for a confidential, no-obligation discussion at your own convenience. Alternatively, leave me your name, contact no and email address and I shall get in touch with you soon.

Good luck & Cheers! :)

Best Regards,

Michael Wong
Vice President, Resale Division
Orangetee & Tie Pte Ltd CEA Reg No. R020568D

H/P: 97393418
Email: michaelwong68@gmail.com
OrangeTee & Tie: My Projects Sharing

"Success only comes to those who aim to achieve and have the will to win"!
Kevin Chung 莊國賢
You can actually start by taking the RES course and RES Exam. Once you pass, you can start your real estates business even when you are still in uni. Of course, you can always wait till you complete your degree and join the industry without the need to take the RES exam. Then again, why waste 3 years of productive time? There are university students earning good income during Uni days.

I am Kevin Chung, a Senior Division Director with Knight Frank, a global real estate consultancy. I founded DARE Group and we have good experience in luxury residential properties as well as a strong DARE Business Spaces group with sub groups focusing in Offices, Retail, conservation shop houses, F&B. We serve a network of High Networth Investors and our group consist of many mid career professionals joining us to develop their Real Estate advisory career.

Call or WhatsApp me 96855070 for a non obligation discussion on how DARE Group can help you achieve more in a smarter way.

Kevin Chung R020630C
Senior Division Director
DARE Group - DARE Luxury - DARE 11 - DARE Business Spaces - DARE Heritage @ Knight Frank

Your Action Determines Your Success - Call 96855070 today!