5 Answers

askguru expert
Hi there, thanks for writing to us on AskGuru.

While you may appeal to HDB, you may likely have to dispose of your property in Malaysia before you are allowed to buy a resale HDB flat. You may consider transferring the ownership instead to your family member and then buy a resale HDB flat before or within 6 months of the resale flat purchase.

You may refer to HDB's link here: https://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/residential/buying-a-flat/resale/eligibility

You may be eligible under the Fiancé/Fiancée Scheme.

You may be eligible for a Family Grant of $40,000 or $30,000 when buying a 2- to 4-room resale flat or 5-room or bigger resale flat respectively. First-timer flat buyers who qualify for the Family Grant may also benefit from the Enhanced CPF Housing Grant (EHG) of up to $80,000, depending on your household income.

As you are still an SPR, the CPF Housing Grant for Family will be $10,000 lesser than an SC/SC household for the purchase of a resale HDB flat. Once you or your child become a full citizen, you can claim the $10,000 Citizen Top-Up via CPF. You may refer to HDB's link here: https://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/residential/servicing-your-hdb-housing-loan/citizen-topup

You may also be eligible for a Proximity Housing Grant of $30,000 if living with your parents or $20,000 if living close to your parents.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Team PropertyGuru Read More


Gavin Ng

You may text 9620 0287 for a casual chat. We need to understand better before we can advise.

Gavin Read More


Taufik Hussein
I fully understand your circumstances. There is no harm to appealing and if there is any exceptional circumstances, HDB might approve your appeal. As for housing grant and HDB loan, your appeal needs to state clearly that you are also appealing for housing grant and HDB loan to be granted. For second option, unfortunately no as the requirement for HDB grant and HDB loan is 'must not disposed off private property whether local or overseas within 30 months.' Therefore it is important to plan carefully your approach as even of you dispose off your overseas property, you might have trouble in obtaining HDB grant and HDB loan in the near future. Do contact me at 93375051 for a free and non obligatory discussion on this.
Taufik Hussein
ERA Realty Network Pte Ltd Read More


Greetings from Ohmyhome!.

We are able to assist you on this matter.

For more information, kindly contact us at 68869009 or WhatsApp us at 97551009.

Richmond Chia
Senior Advisor
Ohmyhome Pte Ltd Read More


Karen Tan
Yes u have to dispose the oversea property or even transfer the name of the current property to your family members. As fo the grant its all depends on your income and also subject to approval as base on rules u have to have the be clear from any properties for 30 months.
If u are open to more options do contact me as buying your first property is important as it will eventually determine ur future retirement. Like I always advise buying is easy but rather the exit strategy that we have to bare in consideration too.

Hope I can assist u in your property journey together.
Stay Safe! Hear from you!

Karen Tan
Propnex Realty Pte Ltd Read More