5 Answers

askguru expert
Replied Jan 16, 2021
Hi there, thanks for writing to us on AskGuru.

Your son can buy a private property after the Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) while you can continue to retain your flat. There will be no penalty and you do not have to sell your flat as you may qualify under the Single Singapore Citizen Scheme.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Team PropertyGuru
Aaron Chong
Aaron Chong
Replied Jan 14, 2021
Hi, I would be most glad to assist you further and pls feel free to let me know if you need any assistance. Hope to hear from you soon and have a great week ahead. By the way, you may try to write in to HDB first since the MOP is less than 1 year away.

Aaron Chong
9730 8455
Ivan Ng
Ivan Ng
Replied Jan 14, 2021

To retain the hdb as the sole owner, you need to be eligible under the single Singapore citizen scheme (eg. Either divorcee or widowed). However, your son still needs to serve out the 5 years MOP since he is essential occupier of the flat.

May I have more info and requirements about your plans so to make better recommendations? Thanks and look forward to value-add to your housing plans.

Warm Regards,

Ivan Ng Realtor
ERA Senior Marketing Director
ERA Diamond Achiever

ERA Top 11 Achiever in June 2020 (Top 1% Company Level)
ERA Top 91 Achiever in 2nd Quarter 2020 (Top 2% Company Level)
ERA Top 15 Achiever in April 2019 (Top 1% Company Level)
ERA Top 86 Achiever in Sept 2019 (Top 2% Company Level)
ERA Top 510 Achiever in Year 2019 (Top 8% Company Level)

SMU BBM (Finance), Magna Cum Laude
Proactive. Sincerity. Feedback.

Contact: (+65) 97432395
Email: Ivanng10@gmail.com
IG: instagram.com/ivanngrealtor
WeChat: ivanng10
FB: fb.com/IvanNgRealtor
W: ivanng10.com/clientreviews
(Client's Testimonials)
CEA: R052114D

**Note: We are not prompted when you respond here, hence please get in touch directly. Look forward to hear from you soon! **

-- EC Sellers, Private Property Buyers Dr. Chan & Ms. Xie --

I would like to compliment Mr Ivan Ng for his professional work and effort.I sent my first post in Jan 2019 and Ivan replied promptly, so I have decided to contact Ivan for follow up. My EC was not ready for sale due to MOP (another 3 months from Jan) at that time and Ivan was able to give me advices on how to proceed from there. Initially we have decided to try to write to HDB for early sale but since it was only 3 months left, eventually we waited for another 3 months while we looked for our next property. Ivan was able to arrange for new property showroom appointment at a timely manner while helping us to list for our EC for sale. We were a bit worried when our EC sale time was longer than expected due to trade war, but Ivan was able to reassure us that our EC would sell. By November, he managed to secure a buyer for our EC. Thank you.

-- HDB Yishun BTO 5-RM Sellers, Private Property Upgraders Mr. & Mrs. Koh --

I would like to express my appreciation to Ivan Ng for his excellent work. Ivan is a dedicated, client-focused, patient and sincere agent. Throughout the whole process of selling and looking for our next property, he has always acted very professionally that makes my wife and I feel at ease and assured. Ivan is not a pushy and hard sales agent. Ivan listens and understands our needs and carefully guided us through. We are fortunate to have Ivan as our agent. Thank you Ivan.
Ling CK
Ling CK
Replied Jan 14, 2021

Not sure about the problem you encountered now by regretting buying under the family scheme.
1) Since your son is staying with you, your only choice is to buy under a Public scheme (aka family scheme) since you are not single.
2) It is true that your son has to wait till Nov in order to fulfill the criteria of MOP. Even you didn't buy under the Public scheme, he as an occupier also has to observe MOP.
3) Since your flat is fully paid for, what is the reason you can't retain your flat? HDB cannot confiscate your flat without reason.
4) My guess is if your son had booked a private property under this condition, you might want to appeal to the developer to return the deposit without penalty.

Hope the above answer to your main concerns, but if there are more query, please feel free to contact me at 90110636, or email: ling.ck7@gmail.com if more information is needed.
I'll be glad to assist.

Best regards
Ling CK

Any response to our answer does not reach us until we scroll through each and every query posted daily.
The best way to get a follow up is to Whatsapp or email us directly.
Taufik Hussein
Taufik Hussein
Replied Jan 14, 2021
It is unlikely HDB will reject your appeal to retain the flat by yourself as you are eligible to retain it under the singles scheme unless your spouse owns another HDB. In the case HDB deems you are not eligible to retain the flat, you may sell it in the open market. However your son need to wait till end of MOP (Nov) to purchase a private property or alternatively appeal to HDB on this. In fact, if he choose to wait till Nov to purchase a private property, there is unlikely to be any issue in him retaining his status as occupier for the current HDB as a HDB owner can purchase a private property without disposing his HDB once MOP is met what's more an occupier. Do contact me at 93375051 for a free and non obligatory discussion on this.

Taufik Hussein
ERA Realty Network Pte Ltd